Exploring the World of Japanese Craft Sake
By Nancy Matsumoto, Michael Tremblay
2022 • Tuttle Publishing
Winner of the 2023 James Beard Book Award for Beverage without Recipes
Whether you're a sake novice or an experienced connoisseur, Exploring the World of Japanese Craft Sake offers fascinating insights, practical tips, and rich stories about this popular beverage.
Authors and experts Nancy Matsumoto and Michael Tremblay personally undertook the challenge of visiting 33 artisanal sake breweries in Japan, the US, and Canada to interview makers and document every stage of the sake brewing process. Nancy's celebrated journalistic background combined with Michael's sake sommelier experience have led to an engaging and informative look at the world of sake.
With over 300 color photos and a lively narrative, this fascinating book provides:
- A comprehensive introduction to the science and history of sake brewing in Japan
- A look at how fine craft sakes are brewed today using traditional methods and no additives—only rice, water, koji, and yeast
- Histories of Japan's venerable breweries, some of them over 300 years old!
- An answer to why some breweries are able to turn out a superior quality of sake
- A discussion of rice varieties and "terroirs" where exceptional sakes are produced
- Current trends in the world of sake, including the fine sakes now brewed outside Japan
- Tasting notes and recommendations for top craft sakes you have not heard about yet
Tags: $25 or less, 2023 James Beard Nominee, 2023 James Beard Winner, beverages, Books, James Beard Nominee, James Beard winner, japanese, was-preorder