Roots, Heart, Soul
By Todd Richards, Amy Paige Condon
2024 • Harvest
Across centuries and continents, the influence of West African food and culture draws a delicious family tree whose branches stretch into the Caribbean, Mexico, and the United States from coast to coast—from the deep South to the Wild West and all the roads in between. In this sprawling and evocative cookbook, acclaimed chef Todd Richards traces these shared roots and the journeys that connect them.
In this book, Chef Todd Richards, the James Beard Award–winning author of Soul, takes you beyond the recipes, exploring the history behind these traditional dishes—and the people who created them—and how peoples of the West African diaspora shaped and changed American history as we know it today.
Including vibrant documentary photography, features throughout highlight interviews with chefs and luminaries, additional notes on ingredients and historical context, and expert chef’s tips. At the heart of the book are Chef Todd’s inspired recipes, including:
- Peanut and Mustard Greens Soup with Ginger and Tomato
- Haitian Oxtail with Beef Broth and Pikliz
- Grilled Shrimp Mojo with Black Bean Puree and Toasted Rice
- Grilled Quail Tacos with Mole Poblano
- Scallion and Smoked Cheddar Cornbread Fritters with Red Pepper Honey
- Peach Cobbler with Butter Pecan Ice Cream
- Buffalo Style Frog Legs or Chicken Wings with French Onion Ranch Dressing
- 7-Up Cake
- Chicago-Style Beach Spaghetti
- BBQ Shrimp with Garlicy French Bread and Parsley Butter
- Beignets with Espresso Powdered Sugar
From page to glorious page, Todd’s deep knowledge and vivid storytelling remind us that cooking and sharing food is a joyous way to connect with history, culture, and each other.
Tags: #amplifymelanatedvoices, african american, Books, food history, individual chef, photography, was-preorder, west african